May 18, 2012

A Worthwhile Investment

This week we are fortunate to have Emma from Magnificat High School doing her Genesis project with us at Home Team Marketing. She was asked to write a article for our Athletic Director newsletter and this is the amazing article that she produced. Great work Emma!


A Worthwhile Investment
By: Emma Kete
            I have learned a lot over the past few days here at Home Team Marketing. I learned just what the company itself does and I am very appreciative. Being a high school swimmer, I know exactly what this company is working towards. I love the fact that this group of people is striving towards the betterment of high school students by maintaining school sports across the country, and I know that it is not a waste.
            High school sports are completely different than club sports; I would know because I participate in both. When I heard that people were pulling their children out of high school sports just so that they could play club year round, I was devastated. High school swimming, for me, is so much more meaningful than club swimming. The girls that I swim with in high school, I see every day at school and after school in the pool. Because we are around each other more, we develop a closer relationship that is a major factor towards our excellence in the water.
 Not only are we closer than club teams, but we look out for each other. We do homework after school and make sure no one falls behind and has to leave the team. A sense of responsibility is instilled in us that makes us get our homework done so we can keep swimming, and keep our grades up. We learn time management skills and the teachers notice, often commenting to our parents or ourselves that athletes always get their work in on time and usually show the best work. We also learn leadership skills when captains are chosen and the team needs to be brought together. We have a great sense of team work. Even though swimming is not necessarily a team sport, we always are supportive of one another and push each other to be the best swimmer possible.
I do enjoy club swimming, but high school swimming is a totally different experience all together. My high school experience would not be the same without high school swimming. I have made close friends that will last a lifetime and learned countless life skills from high school swimming. There is such a great sense of togetherness, that cannot be explained, on a high school team, and I would miss that on a club team. All in all, high school sports are worthwhile investments, and I am proud of the work being done to ensure that they are always around.

No comments:

Post a Comment